4 Day OHSAS Lead Auditor
“4 Day Lead Auditor” is a competency-based four day course that focuses on the role of an auditor leading the audit of a management system using ISO 19001:2011 Standard guidelines to evaluate the level of conformance of an organization’s OHSMS processes against the requirements of the OHSAS 18001:2007 Standard. The course builds upon the knowledge gained from “3 Day Internal Auditor” course and augments the understanding and intent of guidelines of the ISO 19011:2011Standard related to leading audit teams. The course explains the roles, responsibilities and accountabilities of a lead auditor – from audit initiation stage through the audit follow-up stage – through the use of real life scenarios as they apply to various business and industry sectors. The auditing approach can be applied for leading internal audits, supplier audits, customer-initiated audits and accreditation/certification audits. This course covers competencies OH (2 day occupational health and safety requirements), AU (1 day auditing) and TL (1 day Team Lead) that can be taken consecutively or simultaneously.
Please refer to learning objectives defined in “OHSAS 18001:2007 Requirements” 2 day course and the “3 day Internal Auditor” course that cover OH and AU modules plus the following:
- Understand how to establish audit objectives/scope and criteria in various business/industry sectors;
- Understand the formation of audit team based on competence, independence and applicable legal requirements;
- Select applicable audit methods including on-site and remote;
- Understand how to develop an individual and overall risk-based audit plan/schedule;
- Understand and lead communications with the audit team throughout the audit;
- Learn the purpose, value and methodology of leading an effective opening and closing meetings;
- Understand organizing and directing team members for effective and efficient audit outcomes against schedule, criteria and objectives;
- Understand how to lead teams in reaching consensus on audit findings;
- Grasp the preparation and completion of an audit report that is objective and uses only verified facts;
- Understand the process of leading follow-ups aimed at findings of non-conformance that could include corrective action requests, OFI, verification of actions and security of information; and,
- Understand compliance with various applicable regulations, legal requirements and industry codes of practice in relation to management system conformance.
Participants receive a package that consists of OHSAS 18001:2007 Standard interpretation modules supported by examples depicting process model for each sub-clause, OHS manual, documented procedures, auditing scenarios, case studies and value-added reference materials.
Who Should Take This Course?
- Anyone entering occupational health and safety management-related career
- OHS Managers, Coordinators and Consultants
- Senior Management personnel who direct and control organizations
- Human Resources/Training professionals
- Engineers, technicians and technologists
- Supervisors, Foremen and Lead Hands
- Production and maintenance personnel
- Laboratory, Testing and Inspection professionals
- Reliability and Statistics Personnel
- Anyone seeking advanced knowledge of OHSAS 18001:2007 Standard
- Auditors seeking accreditation to become external auditors employed by OHSMS registrars
- Internal auditors seeking to advance knowledge of OHSAS 18001 Standard requirements
A preliminary knowledge of OHSAS 18001:2007 standard is highly recommended prior to taking this course. This could be either achieved by reviewing the OHSAS 18001:2007 independently or by taking JSA Inc.`s “Introduction to OHSAS 18001: 2007″ course.
Participants who successfully demonstrate competence during this course will receive a Certificate of Attainment covering the following RABQSA knowledge competency units:
• RABQSA – OH: OHS Management Systems
• RABQSA – AU: Management Systems Auditing
• RABQSA – TL: Leading Management Systems Audit Teams
The participants not deemed competent are issued Certificates of Attendance and given the opportunity to retake the mandatory question(s) previously missed.
Why Train with Jack Sekhon & Associates Inc.?
Jack Sekhon, course instructor, holds, is a member of or has the following experience:
- Bachelor Degree in Chemical Engineering
- Registered Professional Engineer
- Member of the Fellow Engineers Canada
- First Class Power Engineer
- RABQSA QMS/EMS/OHSMS Lead Auditor
- Former BSI QMS/EMS/OHSMS Lead Auditor
- Former QMI/SAI Global QMS/EMS/ OHSMS Lead Auditor
- Former CSA QMS/EMS/OHSMS Trainer
- Former BSI QMS/EMS/OHSMS Trainer
- COR External Auditor
- Qualified Six Sigma/Lean Practitioner
- 25 years of experience in QMS/EMS/OHSMS consulting
- 15 years of experience in OHS and environmental compliance evaluation
- 3 years of consulting experience in ISO 17025, ISO 13485, ISO 22000