3 Day OHSMS internal auditing
“3 Day Internal Auditing” is a competency-based three day course that focuses on auditing management system using ISO 19001:2011 Standard guidelines to evaluate the level of conformance of an organization’s processes against the requirements of the OHSAS 18001:2007 Standard. It builds upon the knowledge gained from the “OHSAS 18001:2007 Requirements” 2 day course and augments the understanding and intent of guidelines of the ISO 19011:2011 Standard. The course material explains the roles, responsibilities and accountabilities of an auditor – from audit initiation stage through the audit follow-up stage – through the use of real life scenarios as applied to various business and industry sectors. The auditing approach can be applied for internal auditing, supplier auditing, customer-initiated auditing and accreditation/certification auditing as an auditor. This course covers competencies OH (2 day occupational health and safety requirements) and AU (1 day auditing) that can be taken consecutively or simultaneously.
Please refer to learning objectives defined in “OHSAS 18001:2007 Requirements” 2-day course that covers OH module plus the following:
- Understand the intent and application of auditing-related terminologies and terms;
- Learn principles of auditing and their importance in auditing profession;
- Understand how to establish audit objectives/scope and criteria in various business/industry sectors;
- Understand the role of and how to perform effective documentation review and to develop an individual/overall risk-based audit plan/schedule;
- Grasp how to prepare a concise, effective and value-added audit checklists;
- Learn the purpose, benefits and content of effective opening and closing meetings as well as of on-going communications during the audit;
- Learn and demonstrate sources of and how to collect verifiable audit evidence through interviews, observations, document/records review and other methods using effective/relevant skills, confidentiality matters, appropriate personal behaviour, risk based approach, appropriate cultural/social/language skills and proper sampling techniques;
- Evaluate audit evidence to generate and document findings/conclusions of conformance and non-conformance for a specific audit scenario to be included in an audit report by the team leader;
- Understand the process of follow-ups to address findings of non-conformance;
- Understand the compliance with various applicable regulations, legal requirements, industry codes of practice in relation to management system conformance; and,
- Learn the intent and high-level details of applicable OHS Federal and Provincial legislation.
Participants receive a package that consists of interpretation of ISO 14001 Standard related materials supported by process approach and risk assessment examples, scenarios and case studies and other value-added reference materials.
Who Should Take This Training?
- Anyone entering environmental management-related career
- Environmental Managers, Coordinators and Consultants
- Senior Management personnel who direct and control organizations
- Human Resources/Training professionals
- Engineers, technicians and technologists
- Supervisors, Foremen and Lead Hands
- Laboratory, Testing and Inspection professionals
- Reliability and Statisticians
- Anyone seeking advanced knowledge of ISO 9001: 2008 Standard
- Auditors seeking accreditation to become external auditors employed by EMS registrars
- Internal auditors seeking to advance knowledge of ISO 14001 Standard requirements
A preliminary knowledge of OHSAS 18001:2007 standard is highly recommended prior to taking this course. This could be either achieved by reviewing the ISO 18001:2007 independently or by taking Jack Sekhon & Associates, Inc.’s “Introduction to OHSAS 18001:2007” course.
Participant competencies are evaluated using value-driven multiple-choice examinations on Days 2 and 3. Participants who successfully demonstrate competence during this course will receive a Certificate of Attainment covering the following RABQSA knowledge competency units:
• Exemplar Global – OH: OHS Management Systems
• Exemplar Global – AU: Management Systems Auditing
Participants not deemed competent are issued Certificates of Attendance and are given the opportunity to retake the mandatory question(s) previously missed.
Why Train with Jack Sekhon & Associates Inc.?
Jack Sekhon, course instructor, holds, is a member of or has the following experience:
- Bachelor Degree in Chemical Engineering
- Registered Professional Engineer
- Member of the Fellow Engineers Canada
- First Class Power Engineer
- Exemplar Global QMS/EMS/OHSMS Lead Auditor
- Former BSI QMS/EMS/OHSMS Lead Auditor
- Former QMI/SAI Global QMS/EMS/ OHSMS Lead Auditor
- Former CSA QMS/EMS/OHSMS Trainer
- Former BSI QMS/EMS/OHSMS Trainer
- COR External Auditor
- Qualified Six Sigma/Lean Practitioner
- 25 years of experience in QMS/EMS/OHSMS consulting
- 15 years of experience in OHS and environmental compliance evaluation
- 3 years of consulting experience in ISO 17025, ISO 13485, ISO 22000